The company Pepe la Sal was founded in 1935 as a grocery store in the town of Moraira. Its founder is José Font Ortolá, also known as Pepe la Sal and nicknamed with this name because previously he was dedicated to sell the village salt in the village.
After a few years, his two sons, Vicente and José Font Vives, married the sisters Joaquina and Juanita Vallés García. Between them, they took over the grocery store in Moraira and opened a small grocery store of 80 m2 in 1967, where they sold basic food products.
Later on, in 1968, they acquired some lands in the so-called Urbanización San Jaime, adjacent to the Moraira-Calpe Road (KM 3), and opened a grocery store of about 250 m2.
With the passing of the years, it was transforming until it became, in 2003, the actual PEPE LA SAL SHOPPING CENTER. It now has a commercial area of 2,500 m2, distributed between the supermarket and a shopping gallery that houses different stores. Its purpose is to provide a better service to its customers, most of whom are foreigners.
In 1983, the company acquired a supermarket in the so-called EUROPEAN COMMERCIAL CENTER, located on the Moraira-Teulada Road (KM 1.5), which was closed in 2006 due to the opening of the supermarket located in the BARCLAYS COMMERCIAL CENTER, very close to the previous one.
In the year 2000, a supermarket was opened in the center of Moraira, with an area of about 300 m2, in Las Viñas street, with a more basic assortment for the national client.
Along with the opening of the supermarket in the Barclays Shopping Center in 2006, a supermarket was also opened in the Cumbre del Sol Urbanization in Benitachell, with an area of about 700 m2.
From 2004 and up to date, the company has been managed by Joaquina and Vicente’s children, as well as by Juanita and José’s children.